Skip to main content

Making dashboards more usable for LLMs

I’ve been looking into agentic workflows to act as an operations assistant for the SaaS I'm working on. A big part of that work is getting the assistant to make sense of all the alert and monitoring data that pours in every day.

Passing a bunch of raw time-series data to an LLM generally doesn’t work that well. You need to tell the LLM to aggregate the data and give it the means to do so.

Using aggregates will often lead to better insights from the LLM. This is a well-known fact to anyone who has tinkered with this (at least at the time of writing this).

Humans, of course, like to build visualizations and dashboards to solve this issue (yes, yes, dashboards are often useless, but complaining about that is another blog post). LLMs can analyze them as well and in fact are pretty good at that, so the aggregate can be something both humans and LLMs can digest.

I’ve been tinkering with the idea of appending some LLM-only content to a dashboard—for example, additional context, specific details, or even some do’s and don’ts for the analysis.

Humans can ignore that stuff, but LLMs can use it to yield better results.

Additional context for the LLM added to the bottom of the chart

I’m not really sure if this is a good idea, though. You should, of course, just include this information in the prompts.

But what if you have a lot of different graphs and no clear "just analyze this" prompt that applies to all?

Also, adding it directly to the dashboard (and therefore to the screenshot the agent will capture via a tool call) can decouple the analysis agents containing the prompts from the dashboards, which may prove useful in some organizations where the infrastructure or "dashboard-builder" team is too slow to react to the AI agent team, or vice versa.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bird is causing high CPU on my macOS

There is no lack of people complaining about MacOS Tahoe, mostly about rounded corners and inconsistent design decisions. I have not paid that much attentention to that, but there is one mac bug i have paid attention to. It hasn't been a visual or ux but rather few system processes pegging the CPU. trustd , alongside with ecosystemd and ecosystemanalyticsd all reported high CPU usage. I can't exactly recall when this started, it might have predated my Tahoe upgrade but anyway, the trio of processes all had high CPU usage. Sure, it may have been the virtual efficiency cores and whether it affeced battery life or slowed down other processes i don't know to be hon...

I'm not a passionate developer

A family friend of mine is an airlane pilot. A dream job for most, right? As a child, I certainly thought so. Now that I can have grown-up talks with him, I have discovered a more accurate description of his profession. He says that the truth about the job is that it is boring. To me, that is not that surprising. Airplanes are cool and all, but when you are in the middle of the Atlantic sitting next to the colleague you have been talking to past five years, how stimulating can that be? When he says the job is boring, it is not a bad kind of boring. It is a very specific boring. The "boring" you would want as a passenger. Uneventful.  Yet, he loves his job. According to him, an experienced pilot is most pleased when each and every tiny thing in the flight plan - goes according to plan. Passengers in the cabin of an expert pilot sit in the comfort of not even noticing who is flying. As someone employed in a field where being boring is not exactly in high demand, this sounds pro...

How my work has changed in the past few years

When I started at my current job 3ish years ago, we had nothing but a few PowerPoint slides and a Figma prototype. I recall talking with one of the founders, whom I had worked with some 10 years ago, and pointing out that the very next step after PowerPoint and Figma was still the same as it had always been: translating those slides and mockups into CRUDs, forms, and other basic building blocks. Sure, all the new fancy tools and frameworks (we had jQuery then) help, but I still had to tinker with very basic primitives like tables and forms. I could not just say, "here is a table, here is a form." Well, yes, technically I could, but I still needed to write a lot of code to make a working form or table. This was around the time of GPT-3, Copilot beta, and very early Cursor. I did attempt to use them, but they could only perform very basic tasks and were pretty much useless for frontend work. We, being one of the first-wave "ChatGPT wrapper" startups has naturally pus...