Skip to main content

Async with Django

Working with Django in ASGI mode can benefit applications with long requests where the synchronous mode may be a bit wasteful, as you would likely need a ton of workers—especially if those workers are processes (e.g., Gunicorn). Your app may also run some fancy new LLM framework which is often async only.


That said, async mode isn't a silver bullet for scaling. In Django 5.1, you still need threads to offload blocking database operations, which remain synchronous by design.

Django provides async query wrappers like aget, acount, and aall, but these are just syntactic sugar for offloading the operation to a worker thread via asgiref.sync_to_async.

You can use the asgiref package's sync_to_async utility to move blocking executions to the worker. By default, that is a ThreadPoolExecutor with one worker. This thread is shared by all sync_to_async calls during the request context, effectively meaning that each request spawns one worker thread for all sync work.

So, to summarize:

  • The async main thread handles HTTP calls or non-blocking tasks (e.g., LLM requests, httpx calls...).
  • But the moment your view touches the database (or any blocking operation), Django spawns a thread.
  • That thread lives for the entire request, holding a DB connection open until the request is complete.

This thread-per-request operation is mostly fine—this has been the default modus operandi for web apps for years, at least before event loops, green threads, and coroutines took over. Of course, it's a bit wasteful, but it's not like we don't do wasteful things as programmers.

So, you can choose between creating a lot of workers or spawning a thread-per-request. Latter is arguably better since with thread you don't have to think about forking and shared memory, and a thread is likely much lighter than, say, a full-blown Gunicorn worker.

Another thing to consider with long requests are of course the DB connections. As said, the DB connection starts when you perform your first operation and stays open for the full request. This is problematic for high-load systems due to the expense of connections to DBs like Postgres.

Django 5.1 introduced the Psycopg 3 connection pooling option, which can help here. During your long request, you likely don't need to keep the connection open at all times, but you can return it to the pool. That's a bit annoying, of course, since you need to manually find where you wait for I/O (like a complex LLM call) outside DB operations for a prolonged time and manually close the connection. It is performant, though, since the actual DB connection doesn't get closed; only the requests handle to it.

It would be fantastic in this era of LLM streaming or long polling if Django supported async DB connections. It would eliminate the need to spawn a thread for each request. Combined with that, it would be fantastic if we were able to configure Django to return an idling DB connection to the Psycopg pool automatically (though I'm not sure how feasible that is).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bird is causing high CPU on my macOS

There is no lack of people complaining about MacOS Tahoe, mostly about rounded corners and inconsistent design decisions. I have not paid that much attentention to that, but there is one mac bug i have paid attention to. It hasn't been a visual or ux but rather few system processes pegging the CPU. trustd , alongside with ecosystemd and ecosystemanalyticsd all reported high CPU usage. I can't exactly recall when this started, it might have predated my Tahoe upgrade but anyway, the trio of processes all had high CPU usage. Sure, it may have been the virtual efficiency cores and whether it affeced battery life or slowed down other processes i don't know to be hon...

I'm not a passionate developer

A family friend of mine is an airlane pilot. A dream job for most, right? As a child, I certainly thought so. Now that I can have grown-up talks with him, I have discovered a more accurate description of his profession. He says that the truth about the job is that it is boring. To me, that is not that surprising. Airplanes are cool and all, but when you are in the middle of the Atlantic sitting next to the colleague you have been talking to past five years, how stimulating can that be? When he says the job is boring, it is not a bad kind of boring. It is a very specific boring. The "boring" you would want as a passenger. Uneventful.  Yet, he loves his job. According to him, an experienced pilot is most pleased when each and every tiny thing in the flight plan - goes according to plan. Passengers in the cabin of an expert pilot sit in the comfort of not even noticing who is flying. As someone employed in a field where being boring is not exactly in high demand, this sounds pro...

How my work has changed in the past few years

When I started at my current job 3ish years ago, we had nothing but a few PowerPoint slides and a Figma prototype. I recall talking with one of the founders, whom I had worked with some 10 years ago, and pointing out that the very next step after PowerPoint and Figma was still the same as it had always been: translating those slides and mockups into CRUDs, forms, and other basic building blocks. Sure, all the new fancy tools and frameworks (we had jQuery then) help, but I still had to tinker with very basic primitives like tables and forms. I could not just say, "here is a table, here is a form." Well, yes, technically I could, but I still needed to write a lot of code to make a working form or table. This was around the time of GPT-3, Copilot beta, and very early Cursor. I did attempt to use them, but they could only perform very basic tasks and were pretty much useless for frontend work. We, being one of the first-wave "ChatGPT wrapper" startups has naturally pus...