Skip to main content

Building a non-blocking service in a blocking world

In past year or so I've been watching dozens of tech talks about reactive architectures. Most of the time I have felt inspired by them but could not quite get a grasp on what a reactive architecture is really like. Sure, the list of gained benefits such like 100x increase in response times is convincing but not having the experienced that myself, it all seems a bit vague. I need something concrete.

The funny thing is that for the last one and a half years I have been working on a message-driven, non-blocking component (service). The technology stack is at least partially modern, with AngularJS (Some might object, I know...), Vaadin with websocket push as the only server-client communication method and Akka. There is no Java EE or any heavy platform used but rather a customized version of Karaf OSGi container where we run the software as small modules. The UI is not locked at any point, the user can navigate at any time since there are no HTTP requests. Every end-user action results either to a command or a query starting from such user actions as a button click or a navigation event -> websocket -> Akka message -> some other service.

Here's the thing though. This "some other service" can be one of many other components which make up the system. Unfortunately the service is always accessed via SOAP or REST. This is where the nice non-blocking flow will terminate. While inside our component, it does not matter who will answer to the actor who has sent the command or query (we don't use ask pattern), the answering party is never the service which has actually executed the action but rather the SOAP or REST client running inside our component. That is then where we block.

There is certainly value that there is blocking only on the "edges" of the component. However here I come back to my original point of me not fully embracing the reactive architecture. It is not enough that there is one part (component) attempting to be reactive. In our case since it is responsible of the UI, it creates the illusion of a non-blocking world.

Recently three components have been added to the system, all of which handle streams of data. The most interesting one is Apache Kafka. The drive seems to be towards modernizing the architecture and there is hope for me to getting some valuable experience on a system-wide reactive design.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bird is causing high CPU on my macOS

There is no lack of people complaining about MacOS Tahoe, mostly about rounded corners and inconsistent design decisions. I have not paid that much attentention to that, but there is one mac bug i have paid attention to. It hasn't been a visual or ux but rather few system processes pegging the CPU. trustd , alongside with ecosystemd and ecosystemanalyticsd all reported high CPU usage. I can't exactly recall when this started, it might have predated my Tahoe upgrade but anyway, the trio of processes all had high CPU usage. Sure, it may have been the virtual efficiency cores and whether it affeced battery life or slowed down other processes i don't know to be hon...

I'm not a passionate developer

A family friend of mine is an airlane pilot. A dream job for most, right? As a child, I certainly thought so. Now that I can have grown-up talks with him, I have discovered a more accurate description of his profession. He says that the truth about the job is that it is boring. To me, that is not that surprising. Airplanes are cool and all, but when you are in the middle of the Atlantic sitting next to the colleague you have been talking to past five years, how stimulating can that be? When he says the job is boring, it is not a bad kind of boring. It is a very specific boring. The "boring" you would want as a passenger. Uneventful.  Yet, he loves his job. According to him, an experienced pilot is most pleased when each and every tiny thing in the flight plan - goes according to plan. Passengers in the cabin of an expert pilot sit in the comfort of not even noticing who is flying. As someone employed in a field where being boring is not exactly in high demand, this sounds pro...

How my work has changed in the past few years

When I started at my current job 3ish years ago, we had nothing but a few PowerPoint slides and a Figma prototype. I recall talking with one of the founders, whom I had worked with some 10 years ago, and pointing out that the very next step after PowerPoint and Figma was still the same as it had always been: translating those slides and mockups into CRUDs, forms, and other basic building blocks. Sure, all the new fancy tools and frameworks (we had jQuery then) help, but I still had to tinker with very basic primitives like tables and forms. I could not just say, "here is a table, here is a form." Well, yes, technically I could, but I still needed to write a lot of code to make a working form or table. This was around the time of GPT-3, Copilot beta, and very early Cursor. I did attempt to use them, but they could only perform very basic tasks and were pretty much useless for frontend work. We, being one of the first-wave "ChatGPT wrapper" startups has naturally pus...